Monday, May 24, 2010

Amber

I never thought the day would come that Amber Closey would talk to me. She had to be the prettiest girl at Westcoast High. Cocoa skin, long, golden hair, and a body to die for. She wasn't dumb either. The day she asked me what the homework was, was the best day of my life.
Here I am, a 16 years young nobody named Tiwon Dryor. I'm barely passing all my classes, and I'm content. My worn clothes draped from my body like curtains, and my shoes squeaked with every step. My glasses were securely perched on the tip of my nose, and hung from a string that caressed my ears. Give me a pair of scissors and I would make an awesome man holding a woman's hand. I had obtained three trophies for being the best at achieving nothing, and I think my mother would be proud, if she was alive.

Now, don't pity me because my mother's dead I still have a good dad. I think her death really hit him hard. She passed ten years ago, and he still sleeps in the bed with me.

But I should tell you more about Amber. My whole attitude changed when she said my name.

"Tiwon, what's the algebra II homework?" I thought my tongue had melted and I drank it like a milkshake. I'm glad I did, because she stood there for a few more seconds. In those seconds I could smell the sweet scent of her perfume. It reaked of lilac and a hint of cinnamon. I could tell she was becoming irritated of the way I admired her with my mouth open. I managed to choke out, "Pages 50-53." She walked away, and didn't even say thank you. I think she was disgusted. I hated for her to go, but I loved to watch her leave.

That night I dreamed of her. That morning I daydreamed of her. When I looked into my bowl of Raisin Bran, I could see her face. On my walk to school, it seemed like I could hear her calling my name. I was going crazy.

When I arrived at school, I saw Amber sitting with few of her friends in homeroom. I can't believe what I was about to do, but I pulled up my pants, fixed my hair, pushed my glasses and walked towards her with confidence. Halfway there, I realized I had no idea what I was going to say. I had to think of something quick.

"Hey Amber," I said with an arkward smile.

"Hey," she didn't even look up at me.

"So," I continued, "did you do your homework?"

"Yea," she looked at me for a moment, and went on with her conversation about her having a bad hair day today.

"In my opinion, I think your hair looks nice." I don't think she heard me. I stood there for a what felt like forever, and I saw one of her friends look up at me, point, whisper, and they all laughed. I felt something warm in my pants. It couldn't be. Please don't let it be. In the middle of my Dockers was a darkened tan spot where I had urinated on myself.

The embarassment was profound. I ran into the hall, and darted to the boy's restroom. I ran into the first stall, sat on the toilet and flushed it. The sound of flushing always calmed me down.
I heard footsteps coming down the corridor. I heard the restroom door open. I heard someone say my name. It was a familar voice. A sweet, yet demanding one. It was Amber.
"Tiwon, if your in here, please come out," she said. "I have to talk to you."
She had to talk to me? Of all people? What if her boyfriend came in here? He was 6"5, bronze, and it looked like he was a member of the P90x program.
"Tiwon, I know your in here. Please don't make me look stupid."
The stain had started to dry, but it was still very noticeable. I stood up and unlocked the stall door. I walked out to see Amber with a camera in her hand. I looked to my left and I saw Roger, her boyfriend, and the girls she was with in homeroom.
Lights flashed like they were the paparazzi. I couldn't do anything, but faint. I fell backwards, and I felt my head crash into the toilet seat. I heard them continue to giggle and laugh and they left me there. I left myself there, too, because when I left that stall, I despised myself, Roger, those girls, and espicially Amber.
To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment