Monday, February 28, 2011

Amber Part 3

I sat, comfortably, with my legs crossed on the bean bag chair in the guidance counselor's office. I hate this place. All she wants to do is talk about your feelings. Vomit burns the back of my throat just thinking about it. Paco was sitting next to me on the sofa. His clothes were torn and his nose seemed broken. He held a, now, melting bag of ice on it. This room was so calming and peaceful, though. The walls were a light purple, with cotton filled butterflies hanging from the ceilings. The trimmings were a lime green with pictures of flowers embedded into the design. I would actually prefer to live here.. but I could never tell anyone that. What? I already get picked on enough! Anyway, I could hear the counselor, Ms. Lovings, talking to the principal in the back room.

"Well, it isn't their fault that they always get bullied," she explained to my stubborn superior. He used to play football back in highschool and you could tell by the bulging triceps that engulfed his well-tailored suit. He was only about 6 feet, but he was mean and aggressive. If the school system still allowed paddling, he would give them everyday.

"I highly recommend that you speak with their parents before any discipline acts take place." Ms. Lovings was always on the student's side.

She made her way into the room where Paco and I were sitting. She gave us a warm smile, and took a seat in front of us. It was odd, though. She gave one smile to both of us, yet it seemed so personal. If she asked me anything, I was ready to open up like a book.

She let out a sigh. It wasn't a bad one, though. More like, I'm happy for someone to finally be in my office.

"I know Roger has always been a trouble maker." Her words brought me back to the matter at hand. "It think it's best for you two to just avoid him." She turned to me and spoke.

"Now, Tiwon," she said sweetly, "are you having any issues at home?" I just stared at her. I never noticed how deep, and blue Ms. Loving's eyes were. They were like two pools of ink that swayed every time she turned her head. Her golden hair seemed to caress her tan, aged face, and lay politely on her petite shoulders. Her floral print dress forced me to see her perfect silhouette that connected to her thin legs that went on for days. I had completely forgotten about Amber. Paco pushed me.

"Huh? What?" I said.

"I said, do you have any problems at home?" I thought maybe I should tell her about my mom's death, but I didn't want Pace to think that I was being a baby. I sucked in a nose full of air and I caught her scent. She reeked of cinnamon.

"Uh, no, ma'am." I said, "My home life is very- home-y." That made her laugh.

There, in that room, I felt safe. I felt like nothing could penetrate these walls. I felt as if I were royalty and Ms. Lovings was my queen. For a split second I believed everything was going to be alright, until I heard the door creak open.

"Roger!" Ms. Lovings exclaimed, "Come in, son, have a seat." Roger came in and hugged her and sat down right beside us. Ms. Lovings looked at him, smiled, chuckled, and shook her head.

"Boy, why do you keep messing with these boys?"

"I don’t know, mom," Roger replied, "It's just fun." They laughed together and my heart dropped to my feet.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment