Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A&P Retelling: Big Tall Goony Goony

The sand was hot under my feet when Laura told Susie and me to come with her to the store. Her parents were going to have a gathering later on that night, and they needed some Herring Snacks. We were too far away from home to go and change, so we were forced to leave with only our bathing suits on. I think Laura liked walking around half naked. I refused, but the persuasion and persistence in her voice, forced both of us to tag along.


Laura drove, since it was her car. She was 18 while we were one year younger. That gave her the liberty of feeling a huge hint of superiority. We pulled into the drive of the A&P and hopped out of the car. The rough pavement beneath my feet stung the bottom of my heels. It seemed as though Susie felt the same one way. (I know she did, because her feet are more sensitive than mine.) There was only Laura, who felt nothing. She walked as if she were the queen. I hadn’t noticed that I had just been standing there, and I heard the Queen Bee yelling for me to hurry up.


We strutted through the electronic doors, and I felt a cool breeze blowing from the ceiling. I shivered. We began to walk towards the bread; my green swimsuit felt like it weighed a ton. I just played follow-the-leader with Laura, almost crushing the back of her feet. Susie seemed comfortable, but I didn’t say anything about it. I wanted to hide. I felt like everyone’s eyes were on me. I looked up and saw a weird boy looking, no, staring at us. He reminded me of Steve from Blue’s Clues, and he was slightly attractive. We locked eyes; I blushed and turned away quickly.


We were now at the meat counter. I could vaguely hear Laura asking which aisle the Herring Snacks were on, but I was too busy staring at the cashier. I knew if I told Laura, or even Susie, that I thought he was cute, they would instantly kick me out the group, and have another recruit in by tomorrow. I kept mouth shut, and continued to follow the pack.


When my mind came back to reality, I saw the precious Laura handing Steve the money for the product. I saw him undress her with his eyes as she pulled the bill from her top. My stomach dropped. She always gets the boys.


Before Steve could even ring us up, the manager came in and told us that we couldn’t wear bathing suits in the store. That was the same thing I was thinking. When that incident was over, we strolled back to the car. I didn’t even get a last look at Steve, but at least we got the Herring Snacks, and I’m still in the squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment